Christian Suffering — 1 Peter 4:12-19
Suffering is a fact. But Christ transforms suffering for His people.
I. Suffering is a test to pass. (12)
- Timing … it is unexpected. (“do not be surprised”)
- Feelings … it is painful. (“fiery trial”)
- Purpose … it is refining. (“fiery trial“)
- Duration … it seems endless (“when it comes … were happening”)
- Identity … it is confusing. (“Beloved …the fiery trial … comes upon you”)
II. Suffering is fellowship to enter. (13-14)
- When you share Christ’s sufferings, He shares His Spirit with you.
- Suffering comes before and leads to glory.
III. Suffering is choice to make. (15-16)
- We can choose to suffer for doing wrong. (15)
- We can choose to suffer for doing right. (16)
IV. Suffering is a judgment to face. (17-18)
- Judgment for the believing = discipline. (17a)
- Judgment for the unbelieving = destruction. (17b-18)
V. Suffering is an opportunity to seize. (19)